"Mr. NoName"

We talked about many things Sorry to Bother You criticizes and I could go on about every little thing. However, something that I think would be interesting to discuss is the eye patch guy. I’ll call him Mr. NoName (lol).

I don’t know how closely you all paid attention to Mr. NoName, however his character raised questions and suspicions for me. The overall question is, “What exactly is his role within the company, whether it’s for or against them?” I came up with this after close observations throughout the movie.

First, we first see Mr. NoName coming out of the elevator looking all cool or whatever and throughout the movie, we never see him actually doing work. Given the workplace, we are assuming that he is also a telemarketer, but does this mean that he worked his way up just like Cashes? That is something we won’t know. Also, if I remember correctly, there were only two black people, Mr. NoName and a woman, working up stairs. Something I was wondering was are they just token people? It never seemed like they were getting hyped up like Cashes.

Next, at the party, Mr. NoName says, “Give me your phone” before he sends Cashes back to talk with Steve Lift (Is that right?). This was a small detail that could easily be skipped over. When Cashes goes searching for the bathroom but ends up finding the horse people, he freaks out right. HOWEVER! He never had his phone so how’d it get down there? At first I thought it was Mr. NoName because he took Cashes’ phone and maybe was getting replaced by Cashes, as we saw during the party, Cashes received all the attention. But then he showed up later. Confuuuuuuusion!

This had me thinking, is Mr. NoName somehow involved with the horse people situation? When talking with Mr. Mitchell after class, he mentioned that when Mr. NoName was sending Cashes back to talk to Steve Lift, he said something like, “Don’t do that thing where you mess it up” and “We have to be successful” (or something like that, I don’t remember). So could Mr. NoName have been referring to the horse people?

But then at the end of the movie when there was another strive thing, Mr. NoName walked away, smirking or something, when the workers couldn’t get through. It was then that I was like, “Could Mr. NoName be against the company place?” Like when I was watching, I felt like he was walking away from a success. Note that we never see him after that point. Also, how did the horse people escape? With my thoughts about Mr. NoName, I felt like he contributed to their release. But I don’t know, maybe I’m reading too much. However, his character perplexed me.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

  1. I feel like most likely he was working for the company, whether or not he had an doubts about the morality of what he was doing. He made it clear that he cared more about the money than actual people towards the beginning of the movie. However, it could be that he felt trapped somehow by the company and so when he couldn't get to work he was just relieved that something was being done even if it wasn't by him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow this is really interesting! I definitely never even thought about this, so I think it's really cool that you noticed, thanks for bringing it up! Honestly, I have no idea what to think about it, I always just assumed he was just as much on the company's side and willing to do what it takes to get paid. But your post through me for a loop and I am interested in trying to figure out the answer, although there might not be one solid answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't noticed Mr. NoName at the end of the movie but his reaction to the workers not being able to get through is really interesting. I'm also confused about why he tells Cassius not to mess up. I thought up until that point Cassius had just been making a ton of great sales so I'm not sure how "that thing where you mess it up" could become something for him to reference. If he is on the side of the horse people, maybe he doesn't want Cassius to do anything to hurt them. But since we only know him as someone who works for the company who taught Cassius how to make a bunch of sales and since he seems to be telling Cassius to go take the job, I think he's probably on the company's side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I didn't notice both the phone thing and the look on his face at the end and I think that those make his character much more complex. I thought that he just focused on being successful himself. As for his job I think he was the manager of the power callers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment