I Wanna Be a Barbie Girl


               As I said in class, I really liked reading “Soft Targets for Black Girls” by Essex Hemphill because I can relate. As a child, my favorite toys to play with were Barbie dolls and little princess and Bratz figurines. I loved playing with them and while the little figurine toys had a little more variety, Barbie didn’t. Yes, I had old dolls such as Jasmine and Aladdin, handed down from my mom and there were usually a couple of black dolls. However, most of them were white. The Barbie movies are a great example of Barbie always being a white girl with blue sparkly eyes, and nice straight, blond hair. She could always sing, which I loved because I would sing along. Reflecting on it now, I saw that as beautiful; I saw being white as beautiful. Yes, I’m partially white, however I have brown curly hair and tanned skin. Barbie never had that. So I wanted to have straight, long, blond hair like Barbie because I wanted to be beautiful like her. I wanted to have my hair straightened all the time and even to this day, I think I look prettier with straight hair.
                Playing with a white doll didn’t really affect the way I thought of my skin until I got to middle school and became self-conscious of my body and the way I look. Although I played soccer in elementary school a few times a week, I didn’t get too dark. When I started sixth grade, I was out in the sun every day for about two-three hours running for cross country and playing soccer. This meant that I got dark. If you look at my picture from fifth grade and compare it to that of sixth grade, you can see a slightly drastic change. I had hated that I got darker, and admittedly, I still do. Maybe that is because Barbie brain washed me… lol. But seriously! As I wrote the last few sentences, I realized that Barbie can be talked about literally, but can also symbolize how white-washed everything is. On TV and in movies, I’d see more white female actors than anything. The cosmetics commercials were almost always of white girls, which is very impacting on who a girl thinks is beautiful. And being biracial, I didn’t get to see someone like me being represented. There was never a girl who was light skinned with curly hair that wasn’t quite kinky, so subconsciously, I began to see myself as less beautiful.
                However, there is so much more representation today in media that I hope other little girls can see themselves and say, “I am beautiful.” I haven’t really seen a Barbie to represent someone like me but I bet there’s something out there. I mean, I don’t play with them anymore… so I have no motivation to look. But again, I bet it is out there.
                Also, I wanted to fully articulate a brief comment that I said in class. It is true that internal racism still affects the black community, among other communities. In class, I said that I know someone who says that her daughter is too dark. Actually, I remember her saying that before the girl was born, she said, “I hope she doesn’t come out dark.” I remember the person saying that she wanted her daughter to have white dolls rather than black ones. Having a girl’s own mother telling her that she is too dark, that she isn’t one hundred percent beautiful is arguably worse than less representation in media. As a parent, you should be a role model and be the person saying, they, being the media, are wrong and you are beautiful. So I fail to understand the culture of shaming a child for something they can’t control because I never was told, “You’re too dark.” However, I think this mindset is gradually changing with phrases like, “Black Girl Magic” and “Black is Beautiful.” You see more black people going natural with their hair and accepting themselves, which is beautiful. Black is beautiful. Despite the fact that Barbie never told us that we are beautiful.



Comments

  1. I remember when I was younger, I wanted to be white too. I think it is definitely something to do with American culture, because I remember when the thought arouse in my head. Before Uni, I went to a catholic private school, where almost everyone was white. During the mass I looked around to see everyone, seeing the back of their heads, their straight hair, and their peach skin, I felt like I didn't belong. (It didn't help that for some reason Jesus is also a white man.) Now I know that black is beautiful and other cheese stuff, but I feel like minorities should really have more representation in today's day and age. Nice post, Mac, I relate with it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. I think it's brave of you to share your own personal experience about such an emotionally provocative subject as representation and internal racism. Representation is endlessly important. I agree with you that the world is changing and we're getting to see more diversity in dolls and on TV, and that's a really good thing, but as you said, our generation isn't seeking it out anymore, not playing with dolls or idolizing superheroes as much. I hope that as we move into the future, we continue on this trend of representation and that children will internalize feelings of love and acceptance before they become adults and realize they have to undo their upbringing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... great post. I think as times passes and as we address what was popular before, like barbie, and what is popular now, we can still see the same problems. Nowadays there are plenty of diverse barbies, but social media, TV, and movies is what shapes people right now. Fortunately, representation has been become more widely-known, as is seen in Crazy Rich Asians or movies that support black empowerment such as Get Out or Black Panther. All of this is helping people appreciate their culture and understand that they should be proud of who they are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think feeling beautiful is an incredibly underestimated and misunderstood feeling. It’s not that it comes from vanity or some sort of priority to be pretty above all else, but feeling confident in their appearance helps people feel confident in other aspects of themselves. I’m happy that our culture is slowly trying to shift towards a more inclusive definition of beautiful, and I think having conversations like these helps bring the issue to light, both (I think) for people of color who can relate to these types of posts, and for white people who can recognize the vast amount of privilege we have simply in the fact that we have a plastic doll that looks like us on store shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Despite its egregious racism, growing up Aladdin was always my favorite disney movie - my middle name is Yasmin, my dad's name is Ali (prince ali!!) and I always felt a connection with Jasmine because of the way that she looks. More recently, I remember I was online shopping and one of the models had hair on her arms which I had literally never seen before - I swear to god I started crying. Clearly my experiences don't even come close to some of the things that you've gone through - so brave of you to share!! - but I get it on some level. In Western society (and even some non western societies) beauty is practically synonymous with whiteness and the impact that it has on little kids is not taken seriously enough. I definitely think it's changing, and things are way better now than they were even five years ago, but I hope we never stop pushing for a more inclusive, diverse, definition of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The story you told at the end makes me really sad. You're totally right in saying that a parent should be the one telling their children that the media is wrong and that they are beautiful. For now, I'm glad that minority majority media gets so much attention these days. Hopefully, movements like "Black Girl Magic" and movies highlighting minority stories will promote a shift in what we as a culture see as beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember when I was younger also wishing I had blond hair, bigger eyes, and being embarrassed about my middle name (Nian), which is my mom's last name, and I actually only realized how messed up this was like a couple of years ago. I recently watched Crazy Rich Asians, and I was surprised at how happy and proud I was seeing an entirely Asian cast, and I'm like not even 100% Asian. But it just reminded me of how important representation is, and how much of an impact it can have on people. Thanks for writing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. White washed media representation is still a problem today, but we are moving to a more inclusive view of beauty. The last part of your blog post really just opened my eyes to how brainwashing the beauty "ideal" can be. It is terrible to think that a mother would worry that her child would be too dark, but also thinking of the other implications she could mean by that. Discrimination is obviously an issue and it's frustrating to think that parents would have to worry about their child being unequally treated in life or in the work place. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is definitely the best blog post I've read. I love how you took what we discussed in class and went further, sharing your own personal thoughts and insecurities. I 100% agree with your last paragraph. Reading about that situation made me sad to think that her mom might not be 100% supportive later on. I remember as a kid my friend had 1 colored barbie that had belonged to her mom or something like that. I remember thinking it was cool and wanting to play with it, but unfortunately, it was older so we had to be careful. We always ended up going back to the white ones and it makes me sad that there weren't more barbies of color that we could actually be exposed to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a great blog post, Macheila. And its interesting that you noted racism even within the black community, with mothers wishing their children to be whiter. I think we can say that European and Western ideologies on status by skin color has affected the way many races see each other and themselves today: the whiter the skin, the more beautiful the person. I've personally heard some of this rhetoric in the Arab community as well, and its something that should be changed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment